Friday, March 22, 2013

What a long, strange road it's been.

Wow.  So, it’s been a long time since I blogged.  In the spirit of Eight Bookcases being a record of certain parts of my life, here’s a brief summary of what’s been going on since I last posted.

First of all, around Christmas, I started reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.  I had planned to finish all the currently released books, then write about my impressions.  However, each book is more than 1,000 pages, so I underestimated how long that would actually take.  And, like anything I get into, I burnt out at a certain point.  I’ll definitely being going back to the series to finish it and, when I do, I’ll share my thoughts about it.

Then, mid-December, I had to put my cat down.  Buster was an amazing companion – at 18 years old, he was a major part of my childhood, then when I moved out of my parent’s home in my early 20s, I took him with me, and he became a major part of my University, professional, and YUP-ie experiences.  As a friend said at the time, he was quite a character.  And he meant a lot to me.  Needless to say, at the time I was looking for mindless distractions, and found that reading wasn’t it.


Then, feeling lonely and sad over loosing Buster, I adopted a kitten.  Wellington is the new distraction in my life; you try explaining to a 6 month-old kitten that it’s quiet time so you can read.  It doesn’t work that way.  Even now, he’s roaming around under my desk trying to get my attention.  He’s full of energy, fun to have around, and a complete distraction from most things that he doesn’t feel is interesting; reading takes twice as long, and so I haven’t been doing much of it lately.

Regardless, I have read a couple of books since I last posted.  I got through the first 4 Outlander books, and the two that I’ll post about shortly.  With the change of season, I traditionally get more and more into my books, and I hope that’s what will happen now.  So, stay tuned to Eight Bookcases, since I’m hoping to get back into the habit of regular postings.

Happy readings!

No comments:

Post a Comment