Sunday, July 7, 2013

White Rose Rebel, by Janet Paisley


My latest read, White Rose Rebel, by Janet Paisley, has been sitting on one of my book shelves for years.  Several times, I picked it up, read the book flap, and considered sitting down with it, but never did.  Clearly, my good sense wasn’t wasted.

There is nothing wrong, per say, with this book.  It has an interesting plot centered around the 1745 Scottish rising against the English; there are a handful of interesting characters; and the writing style is readable.  But it’s missing something – it’s missing a spark.  I don’t know if the lack should be laid as my feet (in that I just wasn’t feeling it), or if there really is something missing here that other would pick up.

To be fair, the first two-thirds of the books could use some judicious editing.  The problem, though, is I can’t put my finger on what it is that should come out.  It all seems to contribute to the plot, the characters are well represented, and it reads quickly enough, but I just didn’t find it that interesting.

So, final verdict?  If you’re interested in eighteenth century Scottish history (particularly the rising of the clans and the Battle of Culloden), then this is a book for you.  Otherwise, I’d recommend you skip this one.  That, or read it, and point out what it is that I’m missing!

1 comment:

  1. I've had this one sitting on my shelf for a few years, too. Based on your feedback I think it's going to stay unread for a little while longer.

    ReplyDelete